ZocdocAnswersIf a woman has sex the day before or the day of her period, can that result in pregnancy?

Question

If a woman has sex the day before or the day of her period, can that result in pregnancy?

I had sex around the day that I normally get my period and I haven't had one since.

Answer

Although typically the best time to get pregnant during your menstrual cycle is when a woman is ovulating (the egg is being released from the ovaries and starting to travel down in to the womb), it is possible to get pregnant at any time in the cycle. If you have missed a menstrual period I would absolutely check a pregnancy test as it is always possible to get pregnant. It is also a good idea to discuss your concerns with your primary care doctor or gynecologist. If you do not want to be pregnant, depending on what state you live in, there are some options for emergency contraception; One possibility, if it has been less than 5 days (or ideally less than 2 days) since you had unprotected sex, is a drug called Plan B. This is sometimes also known as the morning after pill. If you are interested, you should contact your doctor about taking this. In some states its available over the counter, but make sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist so that you're sure there is no medical reason for you not to take it. If you are not looking to be pregnant there are many different options for birth control depending on who you are and what your goals are. Please be sure to talk to your primary care doctor or gynecologist about these different options. Also remember that it is important to protect against sexually transmitted diseases when having intercourse; The best way to do this is by using condoms every time you have sex.