ZocdocAnswersI have white spots in my stool for the last two months, what could this be?

Question

I have white spots in my stool for the last two months, what could this be?

The spots are not sesame seeds or nuts. No abdominal pain, bloating etc. They don't really bother me but I am curious to know what is causing it. I have hemorrhoids also.

Answer

We can have all sorts of different colored stools, most of which are perfectly normal. However, it is important to speak with your doctor. Stool color generally depends on medications and what you eat as well as by the amount of bile. Only rarely does stool color indicate a potentially serious intestinal condition. However, having white stool is not a normal variation and is something to be concerned about. You should be evaluated promptly by a doctor to determine a cause. Reasons for white stool vary, but some possibilities are very serious. Certain medications that use to treat diarrhea, heartburn or indigestion can give you white stools. If you cannot attribute it to medications, it is a serious medical condition if left untreated. White stool is caused by a lack of bile. This is a fluid produced by the liver and stored in the gall bladder that digest fats. It is dark in color and is what gives normal stool its brown color. Having white stools may indicate a serious underlying problem that this bile is not reaching the stool, either because the liver doesn't produce it or because something is blocking it from getting to the small intestine. Liver diseases like hepatitis and cirrhosis can cause white stool. White stools is not always a problem in the liver. It can also be a sign of a blocked bile duct, perhaps caused by a tumor or a gallstone. There are likely to be other possible causes, so speak with a gastroenterologist about your symptoms. Good luck.