ZocdocAnswersWhat is wrong with my bowel movements?

Question

What is wrong with my bowel movements?

why would someone be constipated for 3 days then diarrhea for 2 days then have normal for 5 days just to start again

Answer

There are many different reasons for your pattern of symptoms and I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. First of all, constipation is generally common and could be due to many different reasons such as dietary problems and not eating enough good foods. Diarrhea can also be due to many different reasons, but a viral infection would be one cause of transient diarrhea that goes away and does not return. Of course a viral gastroenteritis also generally causes nausea and vomiting which you do not report. If it is just changes in your bowels, and the constipation and diarrhea recur regularly, then I would suggest that the most likely cause of your symptoms is irritable bowel syndrome also known as IBS. Irritable bowel syndrome is a condition where the normal movements of the bowel are perceived as pain by the body. In addition, these movements can become slightly erratic at times and resulting constipation in some time periods and in some people, and diarrhea in other time periods and in other people. Abdominal pain relieved with defecation is common. There are people of course the report both symptoms at different times. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist for further assessment of this problem. The two of you can discuss the symptoms and determine what is causing it.