Does it sound like I have colon cancer?

I'm 25 female with a huge family history of death from colon cancer. I've went from pooping 3-4 Times a week to pooping 10 or more times a day. My stools are black and I'm pooping dark blood alot and am having awful abdominal cramping. I have a colonoscopy scheduled in 9 days but I'm going nuts in my head. I know that the doctor and colonoscopy are the only ways to tell me for sure but I'd like some opinions while I wait...does this sound like I have colon cancer? Thanks.
Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to tell if your symptoms are due to colon cancer or not, so it is important that you be followed by a gastroenterologist. However, if I had to guess, I would say that your symptoms are more likely due to an upper G.I. bleed. Stools that turn black usually represent digested blood. If you have an ulcer in your stomach or in your small intestine that is bleeding very slowly, the blood will move to the small intestine, become digested, and will turn your stool black. This type of problem would also cause abdominal cramping as you have mentioned. Bloody stools usually are due to lower G.I. bleeding and thus, an ulcer or upper GI bleed could not explain this. In either case, you need to have an immediate evaluation. I certainly agree with you going to get a colonoscopy, also nine days is a long time to wait with the symptoms. You may also need an upper endoscopy which is a procedure used to look at the esophagus, stomach, and small intestine which might be needed to rule out an upper G.I. bleed. Certainly your case should be followed by gastroenterologist. If you have not seen one yet, I suggest you schedule an appointment today. Good luck.

Other Gastroenterologists

• Dr. Ashish Atreja
    Dr. Ashish Atreja MD, MPH
    17 East 102nd Street
    New York, NY 10029
  • Dr. Jeffrey Fein
    Dr. Jeffrey Fein MD
    13640 N Plaza Del Rio Blvd
    Peoria, AZ 85381
  • Dr. Mayank Patel
    Dr. Mayank Patel MD
    659 New Dover Rd
    Edison, NJ 08820