ZocdocAnswersIs there any erectile dysfunction drug that does not create problems for ulcer?

Question

Is there any erectile dysfunction drug that does not create problems for ulcer?

I have ulcer and I wonder if there is any erectile dysfunction drug that does not create problem for ulcer? Is it possible to take small doses of cialis after meals to reduce problems with ulcer

Answer

I do not think that any of the commonly used medications for erectile dysfunction have major problems when it comes to stomach or small intestine ulcers, yet the best thing to do is to speak with your primary care physician. The most popular medication that is used for erectile dysfunction is sildenafil. Sildenafil was first developed as a blood pressure medication and was later found to have a greater effect on a man's ability to attain and maintain an erection. It does tend to reduce blood pressure especially when combined with certain medications called nitrates. When these medications are taken alongside sildenafil, the blood pressure can drop suddenly and significantly. The most common medication that should not be taken when you have a stomach ulcer is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. These medications can cause ulcers on their own and can make existing ones difficult to heal. For questions associated with your erectile dysfunction or the treatment of it, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with her primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your other health problems and make sure that you are safe to have sex and use a medication for erectile dysfunction. In addition, you can discuss what treatments you are currently on for your ulcer and see if any additional treatments are warranted.