ZocdocAnswersCould this be a hernia?

Question

Could this be a hernia?

Had a surgery 5 years ago and pus is coming out i had this happen about a year ago i went to the er and they said that nothing was wrong if i lay down on my back or my stomach and try to get up a sharp pain will get me on my belly button

Answer

Thank you for your question. The description you give can have a wide range of diagnoses. It is best to consult with your doctor. A hernia is a defect in the abdominal wall into which intra-abdominal contents may protrude. These contents can include intra-abdominal fat or bowel. The main concern with hernias is that, depending on the size of the hernia, they can be at risk for incarceration and strangulation. Incarcerated hernia is when the abdominal contents get stuck in the hernia. Strangulation occurs when blood supply to the incarcerated contents gets blocked off. This is a surgical emergency and can make you very ill if not fixed urgently. Typically this is associated with severe abdominal pain, nausea, potentially vomiting. Alternatively, you may have a skin infection and abscess. An abscess is a collection of pus that has been walled off by the body in an attempt to fight infection. You could have entrapment of a skin nerve from your prior surgery that may cause pain. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a physician. I suggest you call your primary care doctor or see your local health center for an evaluation to receive possible diagnoses and potential management options.