Will a CBC, TSH-4(thyroid?), and a Cholesterol test also include HIV in the test?

I am getting a CBC, TSH-4(for thyroid?) and a Lipid/Cholesterol test done to test for Hypothyroidism. I was not notified by my physician that I would require an HIV test, but at the lab there was a part on the form I signed regarding consent to photography and other forms of recording that also noted if there was occupational exposure they will test for HIV, hepatitis and other blood-borne diseases. By occupational exposure, I assume they mean if they accidentally prick themselves or somehow come into an unfavorable contact with my blood. Is this correct? I am asking only because I have terrible anxiety about these things, and tested an in-home hiv test that came back negative, and I do not want to think about how wrong it could be.
Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your anxiety. The best person to discuss this with would be your doctor. An HIV test (for human immuno deficiency virus) is not generally ordered without the consent of the patient except in certain situations that are closely regulated in the United States. At the same time, there are obvious advantages (and, some would argue, disadvantages) to knowing your HIV status, and so employers and health care providers will sometimes offer patients the opportunity to be tested. At times, this information can be useful to establish if an employee was infected by exposure on the job or was already infected, which may affect insurance coverage thereafter. It is common for testing to occur in a 2 stage pattern, with the first test being a good screening test, which is then followed by a more exact test only if the first test is positive. This is an effective and less expensive way to determine if a person in the general population has contracted the virus. Fortunately, in most situations, you are in control of the testing and how it is handled. If you are having concerns about understanding the questions that are being asked of you, and with this question in general, please speak with your doctor.

• Dr. Ana Echeverri
    Dr. Ana Echeverri MD
    310 East 14th St
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. John Adams
    Dr. John Adams MD
    119 5th Avenue
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Shirin Peters
    Dr. Shirin Peters MD
    222 E. 31st Street
    New York, NY 10016

• Dr. Robert Domaleski
    Dr. Robert Domaleski MD
    8200 E. Belleview Avenue
    Greenwood Village, CO 80111
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217