ZocdocAnswersCan I use sugar-free creamer with CAD diagnosis?

Question

Can I use sugar-free creamer with CAD diagnosis?

Just been diagnosed with CAD....want to know if I can use my sugar free international vanilla sugar free creamer in my coffee and cereal as I don't drink milk

Answer

Thank you for this interesting question. In order to provide an accurate answer, I would need to know more information. I would need to know how your coronary artery disease was diagnosed and how it was treated (e.g. medical therapy, coronary stent, bypass surgery, etc.). Additionally, I would need to know the rest of your medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. Only after collecting this information would it be possible to make accurate recommendations on your diet. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to see a cardiologist to discuss this issue. Coronary artery disease refers to the presence of atherosclerosis within the coronary arteries, which are the blood vessels that supply the heart. The presence of coronary artery disease increases your risk of heart attack. Once someone is diagnosed with coronary artery disease, certain steps are often taken to reduce the risk of heart attack. Some patients are prescribed aspirin as well as a statin, which is used primarily to reduce the level of cholesterol. Patients are often instructed to make lifestyle changes to increase their activity level and to reduce their dietary intake of fatty foods. I encourage you to see a cardiologist to determine what specific dietary changes you should make.