Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I have a small bald spot on my head. Why is this happening? What is wrong?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a small bald spot on my head. Why is this happening? What is wrong?


Female. 15 years old.


That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor as he or she will be best able to evaluate your history, and physical examination and see what is the potential cause for this balding on the top of your head. Some of the questions your doctor may ask you include whether you have anyone in your family who has had early age balding in your family, as this can sometimes be associated with that. Another potential cause in some people is the habit of pulling at hair or scratching there head in a certain area which can cause hair to stop growing in a small area and cause the issue you are having. There are also certain infections that can be seen in the scalp, and other hair containing parts of the body that can manifest themselves as loss of hair growth and if your doctor thinks this is the cause, there are medications that can be placed on the scalp or taken orally to treat this and hopefully cause the hair to grow back in that region. Regardless, it is important that you are evaluated by your doctor to find the cause of this as soon as you can.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.