ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean when I have a sharp burning pain in my right lower back?

Question

What does it mean when I have a sharp burning pain in my right lower back?

It's a sharp burning pain from my ribs to my hip on the right side if my lower back

Answer

Back pain can have multiple causes, and I recommend that you see your doctor or a healthcare professional for a thorough evaluation of your symptoms. Your doctor may request testing or imaging, and treatment if necessary, once the cause of your pain is elucidated. Back pain can be a result of benign or more serious causes. The most common cause of unilateral low back pain is a muscle strain or pull due to overuse or tearing of the muscle from an injury. Muscle pulls can typically be managed with conservative measures including rest and cold compresses. However, back pain may be due to more serious causes such as a herniated disk, which is a bulging of the soft, cartilaginous component of the spine that separates vertebrae. This compresses the peripheral nerve at that level and may be associated with localized pain, tingling or numbness at that level. Herniated disk pain is often positional, meaning it can be made both worse and better with different postures. Back pain can also be due to narrowing of the peripheral nerve outlets, which is called stenosis. This is often bilateral, and is also positional. Other causes include fracture of the vertebrae, which is usually associated with tenderness of the bones over the affected area. To further evaluate your particular symptoms, please see your doctor who can provide the appropriate testing and imaging necessary to determine the cause of your pain.