Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I had pains and burning twice in the last months after having sex. Is this a STD?"

ZocdocAnswersI had pains and burning twice in the last months after having sex. Is this a STD?


Is this a STD?


This is a great question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor, or OBGYN if you are a female, as soon as possible to have a full physical and exam. Your doctor will order STD testing and likely do a urine test as well. Pain and burning after sex can definitely be symptoms of an STD but could also be a UTI or just due to irritation of the urethra from penetration. STDs in males often present with pain, burning, and discharge from the penis. However, in women, there are often no symptoms at all which is why it is very important to be tested regularly if you are sexually active. It is extremely important that you abstain from sex or at the very least use a condom until both you and your partner have been tested, and, if applicable, treated, for STDs. If you are sexually active you should also have a blood test to be checked for HIV, syphilis, and hepatitis. Again, it is very important that you see your primary care doctor immediately to have an exam and be tested for STDs as they can have long term health implications.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.