ZocdocAnswersHow do I figure out what happened to my knee?

Question

How do I figure out what happened to my knee?

Not swollen.hurts when I walk and bend it right before 90 degrees.cant run or jump.didnt hear a pop when it started hurting.no discoloration.

Answer

Thank you for this interesting question. I am sorry to hear about your knee pain. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, a doctor would need to collect a full medical history and perform a detailed physical exam. Depending on these findings, you may need to undergo additional testing, such as x-rays or an MRI. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to comment on the cause of your pain. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. The knee is a complex joint that depends upon the health of multiple structures for normal function. It is possible you have strained one of the muscles that help stabilize the joint, such as the quadriceps muscles. Damage to one of the ligaments that controls the joint, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL, can also lead to pain. Damage to the meniscus, or piece of cartilage that cushions the joint, can cause pain. The knee joint has several bursa, or fluid filled sacs that provide cushioning, that can become inflamed and cause pain. Finally, damage to one of the bones in the joint can cause pain. I strongly encourage you to discuss these concerns with an orthopedist.