ZocdocAnswersI always feel like I have to pee, but it doesn't burn. Is something wrong?

Question

I always feel like I have to pee, but it doesn't burn. Is something wrong?

i'm 16 and I feel like i always have to pee. 2 Days ago i slept with my boyfriend. I feel like i always have to pee but it doesn't burn. When i do only a small amount comes out.

Answer

Frequent and urgent urination is a fairly common medical condition and I recommend visiting a doctor to discuss your symptoms. It can be a symptom of many possible medical problems. From what you have described your symptoms, it sounds like it could be a urinary tract infection, or UTI. UTI is a bacterial infection that is anywhere along the urinary tract. When these germs enter the urethra and the bladder, it leads to the infection, most commonly in the bladder itself. A bladder infection is usually not serious if it is treated right away. If you do not take care of a bladder infection, it can spread to the kidneys and cause permanent damage. The main symptom of UTI is a strong urge to urinate often, even right after you have emptied your bladder. It is especially a sure sign of UTI if the urine looks cloudy. Most of the time, your body can get rid of these bacteria. Drinking plenty of water and especially unsweetened cranberry juice to flush out these bacteria might speed up the recovery. If your condition does not seem to improve, an in-person visit with a primary care physician to have the severity of your condition evaluated and treated promptly is the next step. Antibiotics taken by mouth are usually recommended because there is a risk that infection can spread to the kidneys. Treatment is usually successful that symptoms of a bladder infection usually disappear within 24-48 hours. If you have a kidney infection, it may take 1 week or longer for your symptoms to go away. During your visits, your doctor can also rule out other causes of this frequent urination like overactive bladder syndrome, diabetes or other kidney diseases.