ZocdocAnswersIs it possible to go from 100 to 1000 units of sugar in urine in just a year?

Question

Is it possible to go from 100 to 1000 units of sugar in urine in just a year?

A week ago I started to have to urinate every couple of hours and pain in my right back (flank), but am back to normal now.

Answer

It sounds like there are several things going on with your health right now and I recommend you see your primary care physician. First, with regard to excess glucose being passed in your urine, if you have out of control blood sugars (such as can happen with poorly controlled diabetes) then it is definitely possible to have significant sugar detected in your urine. Poorly controlled diabetes is a major risk factor for a host of other medical problems, so if this is the case for you, hopefully you can work with your doctor to improve your glycemic control. The other symptoms you describe, including frequent urination and the flank pain, can also be associated with a number of things including kidney stones or a possible kidney infection. If the symptoms have passed completely without any treatment, then it is very unlikely that you did in fact have a kidney infection. However, people with diabetes can be prone to getting kidney infections so if you blood sugars have been very high, you would want to seek medical attention if these symptoms returned. Overall, the best thing for you to do in this situation is to see your primary care physician to review your health. You can get your questions about blood sugar answered, and your doctor can help make sure you don't have any more serious conditions ongoing that might require medical intervention.