ZocdocAnswersA small part of my gum is turning a grayish brown color, what could this be?

Question

A small part of my gum is turning a grayish brown color, what could this be?

it feel raw i am 18

Answer

Thanks for your question. Please speak with a doctor about this question. There are many different things that it could be, but it is not normal for your gums to be turning a different color. It is common for some people to have this sort of change if the area of the gums is exposed to consistent trauma, as with chewing tobacco or other such toxins that can constantly irritate the skin in the same spot. Dental issues can also lead to some staining of the related gingiva, and also suggest something that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. There are many other possibilities as well, but it is difficult to say what is causing your specific symptoms without more information. Your dentist may be a good place to start, and an ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA otolaryngology-head and neck surgeon, AKA ENT) would also be able to help. Depending on what is seen, it may be necessary to have a biopsy or other testing to make sure that it is not something serious. Please speak with your doctor soon about your question.