Can you break a finger and still be able to move it?

my finger was shut in a van door a week ago. I can move it but it is tight feeling and still hurts. It is swollen and there is a knot where it was hit. It was between the knuckles
Thanks for your question. The ability to move the finger is one of the tests that your doctor will do when you go to talk about the trauma. If your finger can move, then it is obviously a good sign, and makes it less likely that you have a break. That being said, however, there still remains the chance that there is a real problem that may need to be addressed. While most trauma will result in increased swelling, if that swelling persists too long it may be a sign of something more as well. Pain is likewise common after trauma, but is expected to slowly improve after the first 2-3 days. If you are continuing to have symptoms and impaired motion to any degree, then it is important to discuss your concerns with your doctor. He or she will be able to complete a physical exam and may also be able to obtain some imaging such as an x-ray if there are concerns. In other cases, more imaging may be needed to identify a nerve or soft tissue injury. Your doctor will also be able to refer you as needed. Please speak with your doctor about this question.