Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I'm having GI problems, what is this? "


Ive been having Gi problems for almost a year i have not been seen for these issues and im looking for a little advice. i have Diarrhea, watery or loos about 5 days a week. Constipation sometimes. The dirrhea can come in the am as soon as I wake up, in the middle of the night, whatever time so there doesn't seem to be a pattern. When this happens i feel preasire and pain sometimes on my bowls. I get upset stomach with or without dirrhea. Sometimes my chest will get tight, I bloat, and my stomach pain seems to be on my right side and when I press my abdomen next to my bellybutton it hurts badly. I get back pain and I'm very tired all the time no matter how much rest I've had. A lot going on I know but if someone has advise that would be great. Thank you.


It is very important that you seek medical attention as soon as possible. Almost a year is a long time to be suffering from these symptoms. Make an appointment with your primary care doctor who will do a complete history and physical exam.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Primary care-doctors near you

Depending on what he or she finds, additional testing might be ordered such as blood work, a stool sample or some imaging. A possible explanation for your symptoms could be Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or IBS, which is characterized by alternating periods of constipation and diarrhea, abdominal pain, bloating and cramping. There is no cure for IBS but it can often be treated successfully with dietary changes, medications, and/or psychological treatment. Inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis would be a more serious cause of your symptoms. Your doctor would be suspicious of these as a possible cause if you have lost weight during the last year. Anxiety and depression can manifest in many people as gastrointestinal complaints so your doctor will likely screen you for these as well. Again, it is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible to discuss your symptoms and get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.