ZocdocAnswersWhat could be a lump in my neck and armpit?

Question

What could be a lump in my neck and armpit?

I had a sore throat for about two weeks but now it is gone. I also feel fatigued sometimes.

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. In this situation, I would advise that you speak with your doctor. While it could stem from many different explanations, some of these will require further treatment, and speaking with your doctor will optimize your chance at a speedy recovery. The lymph nodes (or swollen glands) that we have in our bodies are often responsible for some of the lumps and bumps that people can feel at different parts of their bodies, but especially in the head and neck. In general, these nodes work to help the body fight infection and other insults by trapping antigens, or foreign material, and presenting them to other immune cells to be targeted for further treatment by the body's immune system. When multiple nodes are swollen in the setting of fatigue and a sore throat, it can sometimes indicate an infection or another significant problem that needs further intervention. Your doctor should be able to examined you, ask a detailed history, and determine if these bumps do represent lymph nodes or are something else, and how best to determine what your problem is. Again, please speak with your doctor about this question.