ZocdocAnswersI have 2 small knots on my head from getting hit with a softball. What should I do?

Question

I have 2 small knots on my head from getting hit with a softball. What should I do?

They have been there for 3 weeks. All of the swelling and bruises have went down except these knots male 19

Answer

Thanks for your question. I recommend that you discuss this question further with your doctor. There is quite a bit of information that you are providing in your question stem that makes this easier to provide some valuable information in return. First, the timing of the injury (and the mechanism!). The fact that your injury happened more than 3 weeks ago helps to rule out some of the most concerning things about any sort of traumatic injury to the head. People always hear about the horror stories of intracranial bleeds and other severe complications that can happen after even somewhat minor head trauma. For the most part, that sort of issue would have sorted itself out within a matter of days. If you had no loss of consciousness, no change in any of your nerve, muscle, or sensory functions, and had no wound in your head, then many doctors would not feel there was a need to get any imaging of your brain at that time. Now that so much time has passed, the question moves to what is causing the knots. In most instances, this is likely to be some scar tissue, that may improve with massage and time. Please speak with your doctor more about this question and what else should be done.