Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What can I do about my excessive sweating?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do about my excessive sweating?


Saw my regular GP and my dermatologist w/ no results. What can be my next step?


Thanks for your question. There are a number of different things that can be done to help with excessive sweating, although you will need to determine how problematic your issue is and how aggressive you would like to be in the treatment of it. That is why I recommend discussing it with your doctor. Most often, hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating, is managed medically. This means that medications and topical creams that help to reduce sweating will be the first line. Most of us are familiar with the anti-perspirant chemicals that can be added to deoderants and other hygiene products and help some people with excessive sweating. In addition to these common products, there are other products that can be available by speaking with a physician. As it sounds like you have already worked with your primary care doctor and even a dermatologist, it may be appropriate to consider surgical therapies. There are procedures available that can reduce the sympathetic innervation of the sweat glands, helping to reduce the amount of sweating that a person does. Obviously, surgical procedures do carry some risk, and so you will need to speak with your doctor and surgeon to determine if it is right for you. Please speak with your doctor about this.

Need more info?

See a surgeon today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.