ZocdocAnswersWhy would blood stop after miscarriage and start again week later?

Question

Why would blood stop after miscarriage and start again week later?

Is this normal

Answer

Menstrual bleeding following a miscarriage can be variable and often concerning for people who experience it. In order for your particular case to be adequately evaluated, I recommend making an appointment to see your gynecologist so that he or she can obtain a complete history, perform a physical examination (including a pelvic exam) and perform any testing that is necessary. Vaginal bleeding resulting from a miscarriage occurs as the products of conception are extruded from the uterus and out of the body. It is important for this to happen to prevent any retained materials from causing an infection, which can then spread throughout the body. It is very difficult to predict the exact pattern of vaginal bleeding that will take place in these cases, and it is entirely possible that the vaginal bleeding you are experiencing is completely normal. However, as mentioned above, the most important thing to ensure is that all of these products are fully removed from the body and not still remaining in the uterus. To rule out this possibility, I strongly suggest you make an appointment to meet with your gynecologist. He or she can both examine the cervix (the opening of the uterus) to see if this is open or closed, and he or she can also perform an ultrasound to examine for any materials retained in the uterus.