ZocdocAnswersAm I having another ectopic pregnancy?

Question

Am I having another ectopic pregnancy?

i had an ectopic pregnancy 8 months ago. im having pain where my left fallopian tube was removed. i had taken a pregnancy test a week ago and it came out pregnant, im also on birth control pills.

Answer

If you have a history of ectopic pregnancy, and you are now pregnant, then you should seek care from your OB/GYN right away because you need to have testing to look for in intrauterine pregnancy as opposed to an ectopic pregnancy. If in the course of treatment for your first ectopic pregnancy you had your left fallopian tube removed, then I would say that it is unlikely that you have a ectopic pregnancy on that side. The tube is simply not there to house an ectopic pregnancy. If you do have an ectopic, the most likely location is on the right side where you still have a fallopian tube. As you probably already know, the common symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy include pelvic pain which you have, but also vaginal bleeding as well. As mentioned above, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN today. Depending on how far along you are, you might need a vaginal ultrasound to look for signs that your pregnancy is in the right location. If it is, then you have nothing to worry about at this time. If nothing can be found, they will also do blood tests for beta hCG just to make sure that baseline levels are known and should be followed closely. Good luck.