ZocdocAnswersTwo moles on my leg have gone redder and my other arm is bleeding. Should I go see a doctor?

Question

Two moles on my leg have gone redder and my other arm is bleeding. Should I go see a doctor?

I am 33 with lots if moles and freckles and quite fair

Answer

It is very important that you seek medical evaluation soon. Generally speaking, most moles are harmless. Typical moles are brown, but they also come in a wide variety of colors such as tan, black, red, blue, pink, or flesh-colored. Very few moles become cancer. However, if you are over 30 years old and find yourself with new moles, you should have them evaluated by a dermatologist. Any moles that look unusual are more likely to turn cancerous than typical moles are. Monitoring them for any changes that may make them abnormal is an important step in detecting skin cancer, particularly malignant melanoma. Moles that are of a medical concern are the ones that are painful, itching or burning, and oozing or bleeding. Malignant moles are usually asymmetrical, where one half the mole looks different. They are larger than 1/4 inches. Their borders or edges are irregular and uneven. They change color and are elevated above the skin. In summary, dangerous moles are the ones that suddenly start to change in shape, size, border, or color. In addition, growths caused by melanoma are typically fast growing or large, have many different colors, and may get red or bleed. Since your moles seem to change color and are bleeding, please seek medical evaluation soon. It's important to report any suspect moles to your doctor so that you can get treatment as soon as possible if it is cancerous. Good luck.