What helps acne?

I have acne and I've had it since I was 12 years old now I am 16 years old and it's still there I'm finally fed up with it my doctor prescribed me some type of gel 1% and I think it helps but it makes my face so oily the next day and I don't like it because it makes my face look even more disgusting and I finally need help I can't take it no more
Acne can be a very difficult and frustrating thing to have and to treat and I recommend scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist. It sounds like your doctor is probably prescribing you benzoyl peroxide cream or gel. This is the first line treatment that is used for acne and can be helpful in most cases. If this is not the type of gel or cream that you prescribed then this should probably be your next step. Benzoyl peroxide cream can be prescribed by a doctor or purchased over the counter. If this is ineffective, then you probably consider a consultation with a dermatologist. Treatments for acne include topical and oral antibiotics, and topical retinoid creams. These both be very effective, but usually need to be administered by a specialist. If these are not effective, then the next step is to consider Accutane. this is an oral retinoid (vitamin A derivative) that is great for acne, but does have side effects. The most important side effect is severe birth defects if you are female and you become pregnant. They are so severe doctors will generally not prescribe them to any woman unless they are on hormonal birth control and two forms of birth control are used at all times. Since you are frustrated about your current situation, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist for further treatment.

Nearby Dermatologists