Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"If I have HSV-2, and have sex with a HSV-2 partner. Can that worsen my symptoms?"

ZocdocAnswersIf I have HSV-2, and have sex with a HSV-2 partner. Can that worsen my symptoms?


Diagnosed since 2008 by blood test as HSV-2 infected, but never had even an initial infection lesion. All partners since that diagnosis have come back as negative for HSV-2. Since I have not had sex with a HSV-2 partner since being infected, I did not want to possibly worsen my own symptoms - or if that was even possible. (not sure if active or inactive sores makes a difference when both partners have the same virus).


I recommend you discuss this concerns with your primary care physician or OB/GYN. If you have tested positive for HSV-2, then that means that you have been exposed to the virus and your immune system has created antibodies to it. Since you have never had a lesion yourself, one cannot be sure if you carry the infection, though you probably do. I would say that even if you know that you've been exposed previously it is in your best interest to practice safe sex techniques despite the fact that you might not be worried about catching HSV-2 for the first time. There are a couple reasons for this. First, you might still be at risk of being exposed to HSV-1. HSV-1 is the other herpes virus that can cause genital herpes in a smaller percentage of cases. It is the primary herpes virus that results and cold sores of the mouth. The second reason is that partners that have one sexually-transmitted infection are statistically more likely to have others. Thus, if you practice safe sex techniques, you'll be more likely to avoid infections with other bacteria and viruses. Again, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OB/GYN. The two of you can discuss the best methods to keep yourself safe from further infection with the herpes viruses and other STDs.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.