ZocdocAnswersWhy does my throat feel itchy?

Question

Why does my throat feel itchy?

I've been having an itchy throat and it makes me cough to the point where my eyes get watery. There's no pain but it really bothers me. It feels lime if I have to scratch or cough plenty of time so that it can go away. Any suggestions please and thank you.

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem. There are many things that can cause an itchy throat, and some of them you can work through using what you know about your problems to help you come to the next step. As always, you should direct your questions to your doctor for the information and help that you need. Itching is the body's way of saying that there is some irritation present. It signifies that the nerve endings are having some process that is affecting them. Some of the most common things to cause itching in the back of the throat include allergies, which many of us have, and you may even be able to recognize. If you speak with your doctor about your health history, you and he or she may be able to identify allergens that you have been exposed to. Other possibilities include chronic irritants. Some of the most common include tobacco products, which are known to cause numerous problems, and even things such as chronic or acute acid reflux. Many people will have reflux problems without even knowing that they have them, and it is quite common. As mentioned before, please speak with your doctor about your question.