ZocdocAnswersWhy are my eyes red and hurting?

Question

Why are my eyes red and hurting?

I wear conatcts. I took my contacts out and now are wearing my glasses. My eye is super red and swolloen and hurts. Very senestive to light. I have been puttinv natural tears in my eyes twice a day. It seemed go work a little but I don't know what to do. Is it just contact irritation? Or is something wrong. My eyes are very teary as well.

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem. This can be a sign of a serious medical problem, and I would advise you to speak with your eye doctor in the very near future to make sure that you do not end up with permanent vision loss. Often, the symptoms that you describe can come from something as simple as getting something in your eye. Commonly, creams and other facial products can contaminate the eye and lead to irritation. Some of the cleaning that you have been doing can be helpful. In your specific situation, it is possible that your contact lenses themselves were the problem, either being old or dirty, for example, which led to some inflammation of the eye. In some cases, this can also lead to infection that can be very serious. Trauma and injury to the eye can be either acute or chronic, but the body will often respond by increasing blood flow to try to protect it, which can lead to redness. Abrasions of the eye lid can be quite serious, and it can sometimes be helpful to use sterile saline or other simple things to protect your eye. Please speak with your doctor about your question.