ZocdocAnswersI had 3 asthma attacks on the same day. Should I have gone to the hospital?

Question

I had 3 asthma attacks on the same day. Should I have gone to the hospital?

I have asthma. I had 3 asthma attacks on the same day. Each maybe happened within the same hour. Should I have gone to the hospital?What would they treat me with? If I hadn't gone to the hospital, what could have happened?(nothing really happened to me after, but I was just wondering). I had my inhaler with me that day. I use Pro-Air. Another question is, I ate buffalo wings with barbeque sauce. I had an allergic reaction. I couldn't breathe or had difficulty breathing for at least 3-4 hours. I tried using my Pro-Air, but that didn't work. I tried using Q-var and that didn't work. I also tried using Flovent HFA. It is the fluticasone propionate 110 mcg (inhalation aerosol). That didn't work either. I felt really dizzy and I felt like I was going to lose consciousness. Should I have gone to the hospital? What would they treat me with at the hospital? (I was fine after. It went away.) if I had reactions like this, do you suggest the Epipen?

Answer

I am sorry to hear you are having such difficulty with your asthma. I strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with a pulmonologist specializing in asthma. Asthma can be life threatening, and it is not ideal to experiment with medications on your own to see which ones work. In asthma, the airways of your lungs are both inflamed and more constricted than normal. This limits the ability of air to pass into and out of the lungs. Certain triggers, like dust, pollen, animal dander, cold, and spices, can worsen the airway constriction and inflammation, leading to as asthma attack. Given how severe your attacks were, in the acute phase, I think you should have gone to the emergency room, especially since you felt you were going to lose consciousness. At a hospital, asthma exacerbations are often treated with epinephrine, albuterol nebulizers, and steroids. In severe cases, people must be placed on a ventilator to help them breathe. In patients with asthma, it is important to provide a medical regimen that helps deal with both the inflammation and the airway constriction. If you are having this many exacerbations, you need to see a pulmonologist to determine the appropriate medications and ways to avoid triggers for your asthma.