ZocdocAnswersI've been experiencing severe back pain, what could be wrong with me?

Question

I've been experiencing severe back pain, what could be wrong with me?

I have been experiencing severe pain in my back for several weeks. Now when my back starts hurting the pain is also in my stomach.

Answer

You have back pain that also radiates to the stomach for several weeks, and I recommend you make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible. Back pain is a very common symptom. Back pain could be caused by a problem with the structures of the spinal cord or nerves that come from the spinal cord. Common structures that are injured are the discs in the spinal column that could be slipped out of place called herniated disc. They can cause extreme pain and occurs over time. Other conditions are narrowing of any part of the spinal column that can compress structures such as nerves that can cause pain. It is often associated with tingling and numbness in the extremities. The muscles that are in the back can also spasm and cause pain. The other conditions not related to the back that could cause back pain and abdominal pain are conditions that involve the aorta, kidneys, and the gastrointestinal tract. The aortic runs from the heart and goes all the way down towards the pelvis. If there is a tear in that region, it can cause severe back pain that is sudden. Problems with the kidneys can also cause back pain. Infections from a urinary tract infection can travel to the kidneys and cause pyelonephritis, which is infection of the kidneys. Lastly, gastrointestinal problems such as ulcers that perforate and cause severe pains. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible. If you have sudden worsening of your symptoms, you should go to your emergency room.