ZocdocAnswersI am very much underweight, what should I do?

Question

I am very much underweight, what should I do?

I am a boy. I am 16 years old and my height is 5 feet 5 inches. My problem is that I am very skinny and my weight is just 35 Kg. Though my mother and my father are healthy, and I take sufficient nutrients, my doctor says that my heamoglobin count is less. They say it is 13. What should I do? can you suggest me a good diet as per my country. I am from India. Do I also need to join gym?

Answer

Sorry to hear about this problem and I suggest you discuss your concern with your doctor. While there may be many different factors that could be contributing, in general the weight of a person has to do with caloric intake and the energy needs of a person. Some of this also has to do with metabolism and the use of energy, as some people will use energy more efficiently than others, leaving them with extra energy to turn into fat, etc, and thus gain weight. This is often the case with teenage boys. There are many other variables that can be included, such as chronic disease, parasitic infections, and even the micronutrients that are included in one's diet. If you are concerned about your weight gain, then you should discuss this with your doctor to see if you have any medical reason for being so thin. He or she may need to run some tests, and may want to ask about your family history as well. Please speak with your doctor about this question, as there are many potential explanations.