Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why is my period almost 4 months late? (not pregnant)"

ZocdocAnswersWhy is my period almost 4 months late? (not pregnant)


I am 20 years old, and have been on the same birth control since I was 15 years old. I am always good about taking my pills and do not miss or skip any. Recently, my period came 2 1/2 months late. I was worried I was pregnant, but all tests were negative and I have no changes in my diet ( no weight loss or gain) Since my last LATE period.. my period is late once again but not it is going on 3 1/2 months since my last one. I have take many pregnancy tests, all negative. Should I be worried? Why am I not getting my period? I do not want to have kids now, but most definetly in the future.. will I still be able to?


The condition you have is known as secondary amenorrhea, and I suggest you schedule an appointment with an OB/GYN.. This is when a woman's period stops coming along as normal time after time of having normal periods. I think you knew there are three possibilities. The first one is that you were pregnant and the pregnancy test you took resulted in a false negative. I would probably say that this is the least likely of all the possibilities as home pregnancy tests are fairly accurate. Another possibility is that you have developed polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is a condition that results in hormonal imbalances and often results in the ovaries not ovulating. This can result in very irregular periods and subsequently women can go multiple months without bleeding at all. This condition is also associated with weight gain, diabetes, high blood pressure, and sometimes abnormal hair growth on the face called hirsutism. Another possibility is that you have stopped having your period due to weight loss. Women that exercise vigorously and/or lose a lot of weight quickly are at risk for losing their period. The treatment for this condition is to tone down the exercise and perhaps can't slight amount of weight back if you have lost weight recently. Again, I suggest you schedule an appointment with an OB/GYN. This is the type of position they can most easily address this problem.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.