Can music cause depression?

I am just wondering because sometimes when I listen to sad music, I start feeling depressed, but what's even stranger is that when I am depressed sometimes It makes me want to listen to sad music.
There are many triggers that affect mood and you should speak with your primary care doctor. There are unique triggers for each individual. The triggers could elicit happiness, sadness, anger. To answer your specific question, music itself does not cause depression; however, it can make you experience a depressed mood. To determine if you have clinical depression, there are symptoms that you may experience for over 2 weeks in addition to a depressed mood. The symptoms are sleep disturbance, interest reduction, guilt or thoughts of worthlessness, energy changes, concentration impairment, appetite or weight changes, psychomotor disturbances, and suicidal thoughts. If you have five or more of the symptoms mentioned above, you may be experiencing clinical depression. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to ensure that there are no medical causes of depression. If you have suicidal thoughts or thoughts about hurting anyone, you should go to your nearest hospital. Your primary care doctor can determine if you have clinical depression and may refer you to a psychiatrist who can recommend further guidance in addition to possible medication which can help you. At this time, if you know your triggers, then try to stay about from triggers that can cause a depressed mood. You should also let someone such as a close friend and family member know so they can help you if needed.

Other Psychiatrists