Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a problem with my period, what's your suggestion?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a problem with my period, what's your suggestion?


Dear Doctor I am 22 years old and I am single , I have a problem with my period , about 2 months my period have stopped and only I see a few spot evey month but another problem is that I have many hair in my face and espesially in my neck , last year I visit a doctor and told me I have a polychistic (pos), and now I want to know what is your suugestion?


Sorry to hear about your problem and I recommend that you discuss this concern with your doctor. Polycystic ovarian syndrome, or PCOS, can be a problem with many different effects. It can be associated with being overweight, and so losing weight and attaining a healthy life style is one of the first things that can be done. Unfortunately, there can be many different side effects ranging from the changes in your menstrual cycle to changes in your acne, cysts on the ovaries, high blood pressure, hair growth (hirsutism), infertility, and others. Hormones are at the root of all of these problems, as they tend to become imbalanced. If not well controlled, these hormones and their imbalance can go on to cause long term health problems such as diabetes and the many side effects that can come from that disease. It is therefore quite important to optimize your over all well being. In addition to losing weight, there are medications that can help with the hair growth and also your blood sugar if that happens to be elevated. There are other symptoms that can be controlled as well, and there are treatments available to remove unwanted hair. Again, please speak with your doctor about how you can control your symptoms better and be healthy.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.