Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I have an ear infection?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I have an ear infection?


Hi I had blocked ears three days ago, I went to the doctors and had ear wax removal with liquid and was told I had an ear infection and that my ear was very swallen. I was given neomycin ear drops for the infection. After having the wax removal I could hear loads better however since using the ear drops for the infection I have had no hearing since I started them three days ago my ear feels blocked and there is a build up of a white substance is this normal or should I rinse my ear out?


I am sorry to hear that you have been dealing with ears blocked with ear wax, and that you were told you had an ear infection by your doctor. I am happy to give you some information about managing ear infections, and my thoughts about what might be going on in your case, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment to be evaluated by an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated. They will be able to look in your ear, and remove any debris if present, as well and let you know if you are on the correct treatment if in fact you do have an ear infection. My guess from the information that you gave me is that you have not seen an ENT yet, but rather visited your primary care physician for your problem. Most ENT's would not use and liquid wax removal systems. Rather most of us would prefer to remove the cerumen (wax) using instrumentation and a scope. It sounds like from the information that you gave, that perhaps you had a cerumen impaction that was either removed, or partially removed in your doctors office, and that you have developed an otitis externa (outer ear) infection. This alone can cause inflammation of the ear canal, and whitish discharge. Unfortunately wax that is wet with drops can also be whitish. Your ENT will be able to examine you ear, clean it out, and tell you what is going on for sure. Best of luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.