Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What could this lump/ball/chain of hardness be?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat could this lump/ball/chain of hardness be?


I have had my left kidney removed and my gallbladder removed. But I am having a lump which is sometimes in the form of a ball and sometimes almost a long chain of hardness. I have sharp pain that hits me almost every day and the lump comes and goes as it pleases. I got an ultrasound and a vaginal ultrasound because it is close to my left ovary but sometimes it's in the upper part of my pelvis as well. The ultrasound and vaginal ultrasound didn't show anything but it is still happening so does anyone know what this could be?


So sorry to hear about your continued pain after surgery. I recommend that you speak with your surgeon about this. The first thing that comes to mind is the thought that you could have formed some scar tissue after the surgery. While every incision heals with a scar, there are other areas that can scar as well, sometimes due to things as simple as handling tissue that is nearby during the time of surgery. It usually takes at least some time after surgery for this scar tissue to form, and then it will take even longer after surgery for the scar tissue to soften and resolve. In other words, if it is scar tissue that is causing your symptoms, it may take some time for resolution. On the other hand, there are many times after surgery that patients will report intermittent pains that can come and go. One way to understand this is by thinking about soldiers or others with an old injury that say that they can feel changes in the weather because of their injured body part. While that is sometimes discussed humorously, it is true that injured tissue does tend to respond differently, even tissue that was injured during normal surgery. Please speak with your surgeon more about this.

Need more info?

See a surgeon today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.