Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have been having pain in my chest and right kidney. Do I have to see a doctor?"

ZocdocAnswersI have been having pain in my chest and right kidney. Do I have to see a doctor?


I have been having pain in my chest and right kidney. My arms also have gone numb and I lose control of them for two nights in a row. I feel very cold and tired and sometimes am slightly blue. I have very dark circles around my eyes and I have been very nauseous and vomiting. I have no idea what is wrong with me. I don't want to go to the doctor because I have no money and can't miss work. Is this a life and death situation or maybe just a virus that will pass? Please help!!


Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about these disturbing symptoms that are clearly having a significant impact on your life. In order to provide an answer, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, you may require other testing, including blood work and imaging studies. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to determine if you are suffering from a serious illness or something more benign. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. Pain in the kidney area could be due to an infection in the urinary tract. It can often be treated by oral antibiotics. However, if the infection has traveled to the kidney itself, you may require hospitalization and intravenous antibiotics. Fatigue and coldness may be indicative of thyroid dysfunction, and this is typically ruled out by basic blood work. Chest pain has many potential causes. This could be due to gastroesophageal reflux disease, coronary artery disease, costochondritis, pneumonia, or a cardiac arrhythmia. It is not possible to determine the cause from the information provided, and I strongly encourage you to see a primary care doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.