I have a lump behind my ear, should I have a check up right away?

I have been worrying about a lump behind my right ear. I haven't really noticed it until last Wednesday 9/4/2013. At first, I thought it was a pimple, but when I touched it, it was painful and really hard like a bone. Then I have researched about a lump that grows behind ears and I have found out that most of the cases of lumps behind ears are growing. I am really afraid that it may grow and it may affect my hearing. Or even worst, cancerous
Sorry to hear about your question. In general, it is always best to speak with your doctors if you find a new growth or have any concerns about your overall well being. There are many possible things that could explain this problem, some of which we can review here. You could be quite right that you have a minor skin infection similar to what a person gets when they have a pimple. These can grow to be large because of the fact that they are out of the way behind the ear. Other options include similar infectious diseases that involve either the skin or even the deeper aspects of the ear and the bones associated with the ear. Usually patients will have some ear or hearing complaints in these cases. Skin disorders are also often found in this region, with sun exposure over a prolonged period contributing to the development of some of these. Additionally, allergic reactions or irritation from glasses can sometimes play a role in the development of some lesions. Due to the location, it is important that you have this evaluated by a doctor to make sure that there is nothing more serious going on. Please speak to your doctor.

• Dr. Steven A. Burres
    Dr. Steven A. Burres MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    465 North Roxbury Drive
    Beverly Hills, CA 90210
  • Dr. Daniel Leeman
    Dr. Daniel Leeman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3607 Manor Road
    Austin, TX 78723
  • Dr. Adrian Varela
    Dr. Adrian Varela MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    10330 SE 32nd Ave
    Milwaukie, OR 97222