ZocdocAnswersWhy does my bladder hurt when I wake up?

Question

Why does my bladder hurt when I wake up?

Hi, I woke up today with a small but annoying pain that couldn't let me sleep. The pain is generated an inch under my belly button, at the point at where my legs start. It might be the lower abdominals but it feels deeper in, like my bladders maybe. My urine did not burn this morning nor did it smell bad or was it difficult to urinate.

Answer

There are many things that could cause pain in that area of your abdomen, so it is important for you to discuss your symptoms with your doctor. If it happened just one time and was only when you woke up, it's probably something that will go away, such as having too much to drink the night before and having a fuller bladder this morning. Other possibilities include a urinary tract infection, which is more typically associated with burning when you urinate or foul-smelling urine, but not necessarily. If you have fevers and pain in your belly or your sides, this could indicate an infection higher in the urinary tract. If you are a woman, you can also have lower abdominal pain from a sexually transmitted disease that might cause a condition called pelvic inflammatory disease; you could also have pain related to your ovaries, such as a ruptured ovarian cyst or, more seriously, from twisting of the ovary (called ovarian torsion). Similarly, if you are a woman you can have pain from vaginal infections that might feel like your belly; again, this could be due to a sexually transmitted disease or from other inflammatory conditions. Given the wide range of possibilities, some of which require antibiotics for treatment, I would strongly recommend you go see your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms in more depth and to get a physical exam. Your doctor can decide if any further testing or treatment is necessary for your symptoms.