Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"It's been 77 days since my last period. What could be wrong with me?"

ZocdocAnswersIt's been 77 days since my last period. What could be wrong with me?


I am 77 days since my last period. I've been experiencing off and on sore breasts, tiredness, tender lower abdomen, menstral-like cramping, constipation, lower back pain, and moodiness. I've taken several negative pregnancy tests.


I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. As you probably know, the most common cause of a missed period (especially for greater than 2 months), is pregnancy. Whenever someone who had normal periods suddenly stops having normal periods we call this problem secondary amenorrhea. There are a few possible causes for this problem. In your case, it sounds like you are experiencing other symptoms other than just the lack of a period. If you have a history of having your uterus instrumented as with a D&C then it is possible that you developed some scar tissue there that has prevented you from bleeding out the cervix. This problem results in cycles continuing but without the visible bleeding bleeding leading to the belief that there cycles of stopped. Another possibility is that you might have polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is a syndrome which affects multiple areas of the body but often results in problems ovulating which can result in longer cycles without menstruating. Some of your symptoms including breast soreness and abdominal discomfort might be consistent with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. He or she will likely want to perform a detailed physical exam and also will likely want to perform a pelvic ultrasound. The pelvic ultrasound is designed to look at the uterus to make sure there's no scar tissue and to look at the ovaries to see if cysts can be seen.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.