ZocdocAnswersWhat can I take that will help with stress and diarrhea?

Question

What can I take that will help with stress and diarrhea?

Hi I had a stress problem from Tuesday and it was because I was starting college yes I got diarrhea on Wednesday. It was slow down which is good but the thing is it won't go away aka as in slush liquid poop no solid. I have no idea kinda sad and scared I dont know what to do thanks I am going to take medication tomorrow I have had them before and it might help. But which one

Answer

This is a good question. It is important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor or the doctor or nurse practitioner at your college to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. It is very common for stress to manifest as physical symptoms such as diarrhea, headaches, insomnia, or abdominal pain. If stress seems to be a common problem for you and is affecting your daily functioning then you might be suffering from anxiety. Often, anxiety can be a symptom of depression as well. Common symptoms include constant worrying, feelings of guilt, difficulty sleeping, changes in your bowel movements, changes in your appetite, and heart palpitations. The usual treatment for anxiety is counseling and sometimes medications. Meditation, yoga, exercise, and deep breathing are all also helpful. I would recommend eating bland foods for the next few days (bananas, plain toast, applesauce, rice, etc) and avoiding alcohol and caffeine. Try to get plenty of rest. You could try taking an over the counter immodium if you do not have any contraindications. Again, it is very important to discuss your symptoms with a health care professional to get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment to relieve your symptoms.