ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have blood on my underwear?

Question

Why do I have blood on my underwear?

I have some blood (brown in color) in my underwear for 2 days. now on the 3rd day, the blood became bright red and i have some mild cramps.the blood is not too much, its just like some drops of blood. My last period came 20 days ago. i hope you can help me with this.

Answer

Thanks for your question. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about your question. Abnormal bleeding can have many different causes, but you have provided some valuable information. First, we have to clarify where exactly the bleeding is coming from. While vaginal bleeding is perhaps the most likely, both the urinary tract and the GI tract can also be a source of bleeding. Either of those would have different causes and explanations, with infections and small sources of bleeding such as hemorrhoids being among the most common reasons for abnormal or untimely bleeding. With regards to vaginal bleeding, there is a clue that is suggested by the fact that the blood is bright red in color. In general, this can reflect fresher blood that has not started to be broken down. It may also suggest blood that is coming from a source further down the vaginal tract, although that is not necessarily true. There are different conditions that can affect the vaginal or uterine lining and are common explanations for symptoms such as you describe. There are also tumors that can result in abnormal bleeding, and these tumors can be both benign and malignant. Your doctor will be able to help with some further questions and an exam. Again, please speak with your doctor.