ZocdocAnswersDo I need to go to the doctor when there is blood in my urine?

Question

Do I need to go to the doctor when there is blood in my urine?

I am 23 years old and female

Answer

Blood in urine is always abnormal but usually not a reason for alarm - still, it is important to see a doctor. It is usually a symptom of a non-serious cause that requires no treatment. Sometimes what appears to be blood in urine is actually discoloration by medications or foods. This can be distinguished by a urinalysis. However, in some cases blood in urine can be a sign of a serious medical condition like cancer that should not be ignored. It would be good idea to be evaluated by a doctor when you see blood in your urine in all cases. Your doctor can order tests to distinguish between non-serious and serious causes to give you peace of mind. Do you have other symptoms? Is it painful? How long is this going on? Blood in urine can come from the kidneys or other structures in the urinary tract (ureters, bladder, and urethra). Therefore, blood in urine is a sign and symptom of kidney and urinary tract inflammation, infections and diseases. Painful blood in the urine can be caused by infections and stones in the urinary tract. For instance, if you also have severe abdominal or pelvic pain, blood in your urine may be caused by kidney stones. Painless blood in urine can come from many sources, including cancer. Please seek medical help from your doctor soon.