ZocdocAnswersI hit my head on a tooth, should I go see a doctor?

Question

I hit my head on a tooth, should I go see a doctor?

Earlier today me and a friend were play fighting and I whipped my head back and it slammed into her tooth, now a huge bump formed onto my head within 20 seconds and from what I can tell it's kinda red..I'm not dizzy and have no headache , just some nausea Fromm anxiety and eating alot today..should I go see a doctor or is it okay?

Answer

With the information you have provided, I will have to say that you should see a doctor. The biggest question for me is whether or not your skin broke when you hit your head on your friend's tooth. If your skin did break, and there was any amount of bleeding, then you would have to treat this injury similar to a human bite. A human bite is usually treated with local wound care including washing and bandaging and in most cases antibiotics. A human bite is actually quite a dirty bite and can sometimes get quite infected. If the skin did not break, then infection is not likely though not impossible. Then the next question is whether or not the trauma you experienced was enough to cause a concussion. This, I cannot tell from your description. For these reasons, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can perform a detailed neurological exam and determine if there are any signs of a concussion. In addition, if your doctor is worried, it might be warranted for you to obtain head imaging to rule out anything abnormal in the brain. Most likely, you will be fine. Good luck.