I have headaches and sleep disorders, what might be going on?

before 2 months i had a very bad experience while sleeping.i heard as if someone running in the house.i tried to move but i couldnt.i was paralysed.i opened my eyes and see a black shadow above me..i tried to scream but i couldnt open my mouth and get noise out of my lungs.i tried to push myself to stand up.i was awake.finally i managed to wake up and i had hard time to stand on my feet. the last 2 weeks i have lots of strong headaches during day.last night i had a bad headache while sleeping.the worst pain i had in my life.as if my brain was shrinking and as if a knife go through my head.i also could not swollow.. it lasted for few minutes i took a xanax to help me sleep.i do have depression and anxiety disorder with panic attacks since 3 years but the last couple of months i experience these symptoms that i never had before and i havent got a real panic attack for a year. now i only suffer headaches and this sleeping experiences. what might be going on?
This is a great question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your doctors">primary care doctor and/or your psychiatrist to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. Depending on what your doctor discovers during your visit, he or she may wish to order further studies, such as imaging (CT or MRI of your head) to help determine the cause of your symptoms. Sleep disorders, such as very bad dreams, and physical symptoms, such as headaches or abdominal complaints, unfortunately are very commonly associated with depression and anxiety. Therefore, it is most important to make sure that these conditions are being treated adequately. It is possible that you need a change in your medication or an increase in therapy if your doctors feel that this is the reason for your symptoms. However, headaches and sleep problems can be caused by many other things so it is important to have a full evaluation to rule out migraines, sinus issues, thyroid problems, etc which would all require much different treatment than that of depression and anxiety. Again, it sounds as though your symptoms are fairly severe and impacting the quality of your life, so it is very important that you seek medical care as soon as possible.

Other Psychiatrists