Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I have heart problems or is it growing pains?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I have heart problems or is it growing pains?


I get strong heart pains every two days or maybe consistent days. It normally occurs at night time and don't last long. Heart beats gets faster and slower. If I move sometimes it causes a pain. Do I have diabetes or heart problems or is it growing pains?


Unfortunately, it is very difficult to determine what the cause of this pain is without more information, so I recommend that you discuss your concerns with your primary care physician. For example, based on the fact that you asked if it was growing pains I have to assume that you're fairly young perhaps in your teenage years. If this is the case, then some of the scary things that cause chest pain such as heart attacks are probably quite low in the list. A pain in the chest that comes and goes could be something musculoskeletal. What I mean by that is that it might be a pain where your ribs join the sternum or perhaps in the muscles. A good physical exam by doctor can determine this. Another possibility is that you have some inflammation in the lining of your lungs. We call this type of pain pleuritic pain. This type of chest pain tends to worsen when people take a deep breath. Diabetes does not tend to cause any symptoms such as chest pain and thus I would not think that diabetes is the cause of these symptoms. In terms of something wrong with your heart, I can't be sure but your symptoms don't sound like they are heart related. The fact that you're experiencing different speeds of your heart rate does warrant an evaluation. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss his pain further, you can get a physical exam, and perhaps an EKG to help determine the cause of these symptoms.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.