ZocdocAnswersBoth of my hands are peeling, what should I do?

Question

Both of my hands are peeling, what should I do?

Both of my hands are peeling . They won't stop it's been a week or more . When I peel the skin my hand stays red but the old skin has a green shade .. I don't know what to do? It's nothing me a lot .. Parts of my fingers are peeling too .. Please help .

Answer

That is an excellent question. Based upon your description, it is hard to know exactly what is the cause of this and so it is recommended that you are evalauted by your primary care doctor or dermatologist who can best examine your hands and skin and decide what is the best course of action to take. It is possible that this is related to simple dry skin, in which case you can use moisturizing lotions and creams to improve the dryness in your skin. You may also consider taking short, luke-warm or colder showers if you usually take long hot showers. There are other causes of hand peeling, such as allergies or changes in the weather patterns, but a medical professional would be best able to examine you and decide what is the cause of your dry skin. Before you go to your doctor, you should think about these questions, and make sure your doctor is aware of issues related to how long you take showers for, whether you are prone to dry skin, whether you live in an area of the country where the weather fluctuates widely, or if you have had any contact with any new clothes or changed your detergent as these things all may cause peeling.