All the muscles in my body contract, my chest feels wrong and sometimes I choke on my own mucus. Any idea what this is or how I can treat it?

I have had a condition for as long as I can remember. It occurs usually at night and at random intervals. I have learned to control certain aspects of it such as being able to keep it from occurring for a few hours by tensing different muscles in my body. Anyways, when I have an attack all the muscles in my body contract, my chest feels wrong(like my lungs need to empty themselves of air), and in major attacks I begin to chock on my own mucus until I start to exhale and it blows out of my mouth(usually all over my face). Any idea what this is or how I can begin to treat it?
This is an interesting description of your problem, and I am sorry to hear about what you are describing. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. It seems that at the central point of your problem is the sensation that you are having spontaneous contractions all through your body. It would be important to figure out what is causing these contractions. One common reason for this sort of problem involves the sensation that you are choking, as the body prepares to protect itself by generating a cough. In order to cough, the muscles of the chest wall will contract against your closed vocal cords until the vocal cords are opened or forced open, and the air is allowed to rush out. This can result in phonation (sound) in some cases, or just the sound of the escaping air in others. While throat clearing is not generally encouraged, as it can be hard on the vocal cords, that sort of action may prevent the full cough reflex from being generated and may help you to feel better. Other options include neurologic or musculoskeletal conditions, but more of your past medical history would be needed before these could be diagnosed in most cases. Again, please speak with your doctor about this.

Other Neurologists