Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I'm unable to keep barely any food down and it causes too much pain in my stomach, what do I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI'm unable to keep barely any food down and it causes too much pain in my stomach, what do I do?


Please please help me I have been ill healthed for 8 months now and it started with severe diarhea and pain in the top of my stomach and the pain has just increased in intensity. I have been too several doctors, hospitals, i have recieved both scopes, scans, and I have continuously been sent home I have lost two stone as I am unable to keep barely any food down and it causes me far too much pain in my stomach. I tested and my PH level is 0.1 which is dangerously low and i researched and it seems i could havea form of chronic metabolism acidosis what do I do?


Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your illness. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, I would need to review the results of your prior tests and imaging studies. Only after collecting this information would I be able to provide a diagnosis. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. Abdominal pain and diarrhea can be caused by several different disorders. It is possible you are suffering from a bacterial or parasitic infection. Irritable bowel syndrome can lead to persistent diarrhea and crampy abdominal pain. Inflammatory bowel disease, such as Crohn's and ulcerative colitis, can cause pain and diarrhea. Patients with ischemic colitis can experience abdominal pain and diarrhea. You will need to be evaluated by a gastroenterologist to determine the cause of your symptoms. Ongoing diarrhea can cause a metabolic acidosis through the loss of bicarbonate. Pancreatic secretions are primarily basic in nature, and these secretions are often lost due to diarrhea. A pH of 0.1 is not compatible with life, so I would need more information to understand the underlying process. I encourage you to see a gastroenterologist.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.