ZocdocAnswersWhat is wrong with my menstrual cycle?

Question

What is wrong with my menstrual cycle?

I have just started a new relationship, and we have had sexual relations a lot more then I normally have ever had. I had started my period about 10 days early, I am always regular on a 28 day cycle. We had a slip up during the end of my last period and stopped bleeding the next day no spotting.I am 8 days late counting from the early start time but every test I have taken has come back negative. So my question is could I still be pregnant.... or should I wait till when my period should have been if I did not start early the peeves cycle? Dates started on aug. 5 ended aug.14 should have started that cycle on aug. 15. So 28 days to the early start was sept 1. But if count 28 days to when I should have started is sept. 11. Please help me figure out what I should do next

Answer

Thanks for your question, and it is quite simple to answer: you should speak with your doctor. While there are many potential explanations for a late menstrual cycle in a sexually active female, one of the most common is pregnancy. Furthermore, it is one of the explanations with the most potential side effects, for better or worse, and so it is important to understand and recognize the pregnancy ASAP. While over the counter pregnancy tests can be quite effective, they are not fail proof, and there are instances of both false negatives and false positives. Your doctor will be able to answer many of the questions that you have and also will be able to offer a more sensitive test to help determine if you are pregnant. When you enter a new relationship it is also responsible and a good reminder to test both yourself and your partner for sexually transmitted diseases to make sure that you are well. Even simple things such as sleep, stress and nutrition, all of which can change with a new relationship, can affect your health and menstrual cycle. Please speak with your doctor about your questions, and determine what more needs to be done.