ZocdocAnswersWhat medicine should I purchase at a store for urine infection?

Question

What medicine should I purchase at a store for urine infection?

i just got it this morning with pain and always going

Answer

I recommend that you speak with your physician. You may be suffering from a urinary tract infection (UTI), in which case you will need a prescription for antibiotics to treat your infection. Urinary tract infections typically cause symptoms of increased urinary frequency, burning upon urination, a feeling of urgency to urinate, and occasionally some blood in the urine or foul-smelling urine. A person with a UTI may also experience some lower abdominal/pelvic discomfort over the area of the bladder. More complicated UTI's can cause fevers, altered mental status (especially in the elderly), and can spread to the kidneys causing more severe infection and flank pain. If you are a young woman with a history of UTI's or describe symptoms of a simple infection only, your doctor may choose to treat empirically for a UTI. If you have a history of infections with difficult-to-treat organisms or describe atypical symptoms, your doctor may want to do a urinalysis and urine culture and physical exam to confirm the infection as the likely cause of your symptoms. In any case, if confirmed, the only way to treat the infection is with antibiotics that must be prescribed by your doctor; these cannot be purchased over-the-counter. You should contact your primary care physician to discuss your symptoms.